Sugar scrubs are a great DIY skin care product that can be made using only a few ingredients. Most of these ingredients you will already have on hand.
Brown sugar is amazing for skin exfoliation and not as harsh as oatmeal or salt. It has smaller particles and as a result its action is gentler on the skin.
When it comes to ‘scrubbing’, one key compound in sugar is glycolic acid, a type of alpha hydroxy acid. It encourages cell turnover and contributes to healthy, vibrant skin that looks younger.
Coconut oil adds cleansing and moisturizing benefits to the scrub. It won’t leave your skin feeling greasy, but rather fresh and clean.
Honey brings antibacterial and antioxidant properties to the scrub. If you are prone to breakouts, it can help prevent them. It also helps to boost the complexion. Make sure you use raw honey, anything that has been processed won’t have the same benefits.
Lastly, there is the addition of essential oil. Lavender is a universal favorite but you can choose from a range of oils depending on your skin type. Check out this article to help you choose.
You must try this scrub – it is so easy to make, it smells great and it’s very effective.
Sugar Scrub with Coconut Oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 drop essential oil of choice
- Put the sugar into a small bowl.
2. Add the raw honey.
3. Add the coconut oil and essential oil.
4. Mix all the ingredients together well.
5. Apply the scrub to your face and neck. Use gentle, circular moves avoiding the eye area. Do this for a few minutes to ensure all areas are ‘scrubbed’.
6. When finished, use warm water to rinse the scrub off. Pat your face and neck dry with a soft towel. Apply your favorite moisturizer.
7. Put any remaining scrub into a dry, clean container.
8. Apply the scrub 1 to 2 times per week. If you like, make up a larger batch but remember, there are no preservatives in this product so it is best used within a 3-4 weeks.
You should use this face scrub on a regular basis. The skin regenerates better if you help it by removing all the undesired cells and dust residues. A deep cleansing at least once a week will keep your skin young and strong. It will also leave it feeling smooth, soft and beautiful.