Depression is a common problem that many people deal with on a daily basis. It is much more than just an intense sadness and a day of feeling upset. In fact, at its most extreme, depression can prevent you from living your life. It is a real medical condition that must not be taken lightly.
For someone suffering from depression, finding ways to manage and cope can seem like insurmountable tasks in themselves. Thankfully diagnosis and treatment methods have come a long way, with many public health campaigns working towards bringing mental illness ‘out of the shadows’.
Today there is a much greater awareness of depression which means it is more openly discussed and accepted. This has also lead to a greater availability of treatment options, including aromatherapy for depression.
Both the causes and symptoms of depression are so varied and complex that there can’t ever be one single or simple cure. Indeed for many or even most sufferers ‘cure’ in the accepted sense is not an option. What is sought are non-harmful ways to overcome the symptoms and enable those with depression to live as whole and happy daily life as possible.
There are of course many forms of treatment. Some have unfortunate side effects, and even many that don’t, can require a huge physical and emotional commitment for sufferers and carers.
Passive treatments such as administering essential oils can be a lifeline. While not necessarily a total solution, essential oils can provide some relief with no more effort than application.
As depression sufferers are very aware, relief methods are cumulative. If a better state can be reached or maintained by any method that causes no harm, it can help them take other necessary steps to help with respite.
There are a number of essential oils that can help with depression. But, you should choose those that you are most attracted to, as the effects vary from person to person. Often, your preference at any given time will instinctively be the right choice. So trust your instincts and change as you feel the need to find best relief.
When choosing, it is also important to assess your level and type of depression. For example, if you are feeling abnormally fatigued or lethargic, a different oil will be required compared to if you are feeling restless, irritable or can’t sleep.
Essential Oils For Help With Depression
Below is a guide on the best oils for different situations. They can be used singly or in a blend of up to three oils.
Ideal for depression that results in restlessness, irritability and inability to sleep. These oils will help you sleep, relax and feel calmer.
- Chamomile (Roman and German)
- Clary Sage
- Ylang Ylang
Oils to lift your mood and motivate without sedating.
* These oils are ‘adaptogens’. Used in moderation they are relaxants. In greater quantities, they become stimulants.
How To Use Essential Oils For Depression
To use the oils for help with depression, try any of the following methods:
- put them in the diffuser. Use either a single or blend of oils. This is the best option to fill your environment with the healing oils and can be done at home or work.
- inhale by opening the bottle and taking a deep breath. You can take the bottle with you and do this throughout the day as needed.
- place a few drops on a tissue or handkerchief and breathe deeply. Again, this is a portable option to take with you.
- used in a massage oil. A particularly good choice if you want to relax. Using the oils all over your body will have a calming effect.
- draw a bath. You can also add a few drops to your bath before getting in. Make sure you run the bath first and then add the oil once the bathtub is full, so the oil floats on top. The aromas and healing properties will be released by the warmth of the bath water.
- in the shower. Put a few drops of oil onto the shower floor. As the warmth of the water hits, the oil will fill your shower with powerful aromas.
Using essential oils for depression is something that can be done daily. They will help you soothe away feelings of depression, anxiety and stress.
Experiment with different oils and combinations to find what works best for you and provides relief. Then use them regularly in any of the ways listed above. As you inhale and soak up the aromas, enjoy the feelings of self-care and self-love they give as the blues wash away.